In hiring a tutor, you should understand what components of the training procedure must be addressed in order to train a competent tutor. Tutors must provide necessary knowledge and skills in order to qualify into the work place, which you should check out. Here is a check list of ten important things to address in tutor training.
1. Competency – Primarily, you should consider the tutor’s competency level, especially in his or her tutoring performance. With this at hand, you can surely understand the capacity and capabilities of the tutor to handle stress situations.
2. Adaptability – How easily a tutor adapts to students of different abilities and to different types of materials is a sign of an effective tutor. Make sure you study how a tutor handles different topics of different scales of difficulty to evaluate his or her tutoring capacity.
3. Knowledge – A tutor must have enough knowledge on a topic matter to be considered an effective instructor of that subject. You should address this scope of tutoring in order to evaluate and gauge his or her effectiveness with knowledge of the topic.
4. Interpersonal Interaction – Effective tutors know how to handle different types of people. Make sure you look for this quality in gauging a tutor, because he or she should know how to treat them properly.
5. Confidence – A tutor’s confidence level can change how the tutoring service is provided. A tutor with low confidence will lack credibility, so make sure your tutor has this trait which you can find out or supplement in the tutor training.
6. Professional Level – In dealing with stress situations or material concerns, professionalism is important in tutors, as it will shape the relationship between the client and the tutor. They should handle situations fairly and provide rational solutions in the process.
7. Availability – This is another key aspect in tutor training. Your tutor should be available enough to meet the requirements of the client in terms of frequent tutor meetings.
8. Resourcefulness – With little or abundant materials to use in subjects, the tutor must be able to utilize visual aids and other teaching devices effectively.
9. Consistency – By consistency, it is important to assess the tutor’s ability to provide a high level of enthusiasm in teaching as well as handling interactions between people.
10. Character – Although this is highly subjective, a tutor must be able to effectively communicate with the student in a manner that is not demeaning or degrading, but friendly and approachable.
With these ten important things, you can surely trust that your tutor will effectively do his or her job, providing you with the sense of fulfillment in hiring that tutor.